I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 13:20:16 -0500

>In general, regarding the subject of this thread, I think it is only the
>deterioration of the wire from corrosion that leads to the breakage.
Joel,
	You think maybe that if the wire is gonna break, it's gonna break no
matter what? Sometimes I've had them pop when I put the lever on, usually
right at the pin.
>Others have described very well "breaking" the corrosion with some
>lowering of the pitch before adding tension.
	I don't really 'lower' pitch, as much as just 'relieve' some tension.
Sometimes there no noticable drop, just a 'tic'.
>In a piano with new
>strings (no dirt or corrosion), I think it is a destabilizing mistake to
>first lower the tension if you are on your way up with the pitch.
	I agree.
Guy
>Joel Rappaport
>Round Rock, Texas

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he
sings."