lifetime job? <Pine.PMDF.3.91.970409133952.543868245D-100000@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 20:32:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Kuang,

This is the one downside of being a pianist -- you are at the mercy of
your instrument. It's one reason I became a technician -- seriously. I
remember Anton Kuerti getting down under a Baldwin piano during an
orchestra section of a Mozart concerto and adjusting the pedals, and
realized everybody has that problem!

But yours is major. If you can't raise a ruckus -- through a student
council, or personal campaigning, or organizing students through a
petition, or something -- you might consider getting permission to bring
your own technician in for special events, if you can afford it. Even at
institutions with good technicians, sometimes a performer will simply
prefer the work of a specific tech. If you pay for it, I can't see the
administration objecting. Buffalo has good people, if indeed that's where
you are. You're going to experience this kind of thing throughout your
performing life. It's just too bad it's happening at a place where you're
stuck for a few years, and where you need pianos to cooperate.

Good luck
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music