I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:09:46 -0500

Guy Nichols wrote:

> Joel,
>         You think maybe that if the wire is gonna break, it's gonna break no
> matter what? Sometimes I've had them pop when I put the lever on, usually
> right at the pin.

Exactly right.  There are only two types of old-upright-tuners:  those
who have had a string break when they simply put the tuning lever on the
pin and those who will.

>         I don't really 'lower' pitch, as much as just 'relieve' some tension.
> Sometimes there no noticable drop, just a 'tic'.

That's why I said lower pitch "some," and you are right in that
sometimes it is just the feel of the rust giving way.  Other times, an
impact type of "pop" is needed and the pitch does go down just a
little.  I must admit that I do not deal with this type of instrument
any more, but for teaching purposes, I try to retain the memories of
experiences from "the good old days."

----Joel Rappaport