String breakage & Stringer tool

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 23:55:46 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Mike, List

>Let me put my vote in on this.  I use an impact lever for all my pitch
>corrections...both up AND down.  Verticals AND grands.  I never tap it towa=
rd
>the flat side before raising the pitch.  I never use any wd-40, McLube, etc=
..,
>either.  I have very few broken string encounters...but they do happen.
> Broken strings go with the territory!  Caution the customer first, and let
>it fly.

What you have spoken are pretty much my sentiments as well, though I don't
use an impact lever.  Not really that many broken strings considering the
fact that probably 80% of the pianos I encounter over the last 18 years
have always required a pitch change to some degree, a conservative
statement to be sure.  However, I may implement some of the other
suggestions given on the next really neglected upright I encounter.  Could
make a difference in how I feel if anything.

>And may I add a blatant plug for the "Stringer" tool from Pianotek?  I boug=
ht
>one in Dearborn last year and have had the opportunity to use it three time=
>since then...

I bought one in Dearborn as well, and you are right, an excellent tool.

>...So, I'm wondering what other techies do when trying to put a string on
>one of
>those beasties in that location...while the action is still in the piano
>(besides swear a lot, I mean)...

Amen.  With just the right tension on the new string, I use my fingers, a
work lamp, and a long thin bladed screwdriver to manipulate it into place.
The tension on the string and the patience of Job are the secrets to
sucessfully complete the task and stop the swearing     :-)

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician