Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)

KUANG v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:12:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Avery Todd wrote:

> Kuang, Susan & others,
>
>    My question here is if "he didn't want to go back to his studio to get
> strings", where did he get the wire to tie the string? Am I missing
> something?

Opps, I forgot the tell you the amazing thing.  The amazing thing was
that he was able to use this very tinny length left in the old string to
tie the string.  And almost two turns were still around tuning pin.  It's
almost perfect.  Here's your answer:  He didn't need to get new wire :)

>    And on the subject of tying strings, I agree with some of the other
> posts about, especially, a concert instrument not being the place to have
> a tied string. Even in a concert situation, I could install a new string
> much quicker than I could fight with tying a knot. Then there's always the
> danger of the knot breaking or coming loose. Then there's more time lost

His knot never broke or coming loose.

> trying to redo it. Not for me!
>    I understand the "reasons" for tying a knot, but I, personally, don't
> like to do it. (I know. I need to spend more time practicing tying them.)
> :-)
>    Thankfully, I'm in a situation here where I don't have to worry about
> it. Even if I have to stay for the concert to retune it, if needed. JMHO.

I was thinking if any supply house stock "pre-streched" wire?  Maybe
there's no such thing?  Wouldn't it be very expansive to supply those
kind of wire?  I know at least one violinist who always put new
violin strings on her second violin so whenever she needs new strings,
the strings would be "ready" to play.

> Avery
>
> P.S. And before someone asks "what about a broken bass string?", for a
> performance, I'll just take one off the other 'D' (soon to be *three* other
> D's), and install it. Then go to my office and call a source to have a
> replacement sent overnight.
>    Now if it were a concerto situation....... Well, maybe I *should*
> practice my knot tying after all. :-)
>
> >  >I've seen those broken strings he connected, it's
> >>truely amazing (either he was trying to save school piano wires or he
> >>didn't want to go back to his studio to get strings).
> >
> > Kuang --
> >
> >He probably just didn't want to make endless visits to pull up new strings.
> >The old wire is already stretched out. I used to be opposed to knots in
> >treble strings, but, although I usually replace the whole string, I can see
> >the other side now.

what's the best way to strech a new string in a very short amount of time?
Or is it a bad practice after all?  Whenever I need to strech a new
string, I use a plier and squeez the string at the very end after the
bridge (this is commonly known) _and_ apply moderate pressures (in pulses,
but *slow*) on the sounding section of the string near the bridge (I've
never seen a string break at that spot) using a flat screwdriver (I
haven't figured out a better tool for this, any ideas?  I noticed this
might creat a nice spot for rust).  Is this a bad practice?  The result is
much better than not doing anything though.

Kuang Wang