String breakage

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:46:14 -0500 (CDT)

>Kuang,
>By 'force' rather than 'torque' are you  _bending_ the pins?
>A big, big mistake.
>Torque is part of the 'setting the pin' process, there is also
>setting the string. I don't think you understand enough to
>be tuning yet (just deriving from your posts).
>I think you need to align yourself with a technician who will
>direct you in your persuit rather than formulating your own
>theories and experimenting on school pianos.
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>...How do you know if you are
>>excerting a torque and not force?  Well, hold a tuning pin in the air,
>>and turn it using a hammer.  If the pin stays stationary, then you're
>>excerting a torque.  If not, then you're excerting a force...
>>Kuang Wang

Dear Jon, List,

You must have misread his example.  Maybe I am mistaken, but I think you
will find after rereading it, you will find that he understands the
difference between torque and force.  It appears to me he also has a pretty
good handle on some of the aspects of piano work.  And what better place
than school pianos to experiment .  The first three years of my piano
experience revolved around 80 + school pianos.  Gee, what I didn't know
then    :-)

Your suggestion to seek another technician, of course, is not without merit
and an excellent direction to take to learn even more about piano
technology.  Joining the Piano Technicians Guild and associating with
others would be an even more excellent move.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician