Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:13:48 -0700 (MST)

Hi to all:

One time I had the no.1 string of a Steinway D break at the tuning pin
while tuning for a Concert. I ran over to the other building, robbed no.1
from another D.  That part worked out OK, but since the second D was in
heavy use, I had to tie the string.  There is not room to tie the Tuner's
knot, but years ago I had picked up a handout in a PTG Convention which
illustrated how to use half a tuner's knot and half a figure 8 knot. It
worked.  It's too difficult to explain, but the picture was worth a 1000
words.  You got a minute or 20?  Nevermind, I'll try to find the picture
again and show it at a convention sometime. Unless that piano has been
rebuilt by my successors, it's still holding.

Jim Coleman, Sr.