restringing

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:34:26 -0400

Dear Peter,
        You have the cart in front of the hourse.
        Stop the bass string order NOW.

        If the bass string tnesion is too high they need to be redesigned
but from the tension of the steel strings.  If errors were made in the bass
section there may be errors in the steel wires as well.
        If you send me the speaking lengths of all the notes I can determine
whatr the tension, inharmonicity, power, breaking %, and provide a smoothing
of all the factors.
        From the information I send back you can have a set of bass strings
made that will not only sound good, will tune smoothly and will be durable.
        I charge what you charge for a regular tuning for this service, but
with the formulas you can do it yourself since you have a computer.
        I have done this many times because I have found that most bass
strings are not properly designed or wound, even on newer instruments.
        There are others here in the US who can do this as well.  The
Sandersons for instance.
        Your string maker may be able to do this without a computer, but the
finer details will not be determined without a computer.

        Good fortune to you and I am most pleased to see you on the list.

                Newton J. Hunt
                nhunt@jagat.com
                New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA