Bass String Replacement

Antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:09:18 +0000

>Since that time, I remove the bass strings wholesale (and replace them
>retail, you bet). I
>think it has been adequately demonstrated, here on list as well as
>elsewhere, that the
>structure of a piano can easily withstand this kind of a strain.

I on the other hand, have learned the hard way that it can be disastrous
to replace them all at once and I would not dare to do that ever again.
I'll tell you why...
The first time I took all the bass strings off, I noticed that the shape
of the soundboard changed dramatically. While getting the new strings
ready for restringing, I heard a loud crack! and...the soundboard was
ruined.
Taking off all the bass strings at once, causes a tremendous difference
in tension on different parts of the soundboard. I wouldn't take any risk!

Antares