sheared tuning pin-

Al Jeschke jeschkea@cadvision.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:18:28 -0600

Sam & List,
    Epoxy works, providing one uses the right kind of epoxy.  I have
successfully used Thermoset #100, which is an epoxy in paste form.  It will
not run or drip, is tough, good for metal, and therefore a desirable product
for many uses.  On one occasion I used it to mend a broken action bracket.
    Before I used it for sizing the odd tuning pin holes in pinblocks, I did
tests on a discarded pinblock in my shop.  A number of holes were enlarged
so that the tuning pins would easily slip in and out.  The epoxy was applied
to the hole walls, and given at least 24 hours to cure.  Having drill bits
in increments of .002" (in the range of tuning pin diameters) I reamed the
epoxied holes to varied inside diameters.  Here are todays torque test
readings in inch pounds (after more than ten years) of the .282" pins driven
into three holes reamed to .272", .265", and .263".   Hole .272" - 30
pounds, hole .265" - 55 pounds, and hole .263" 90 pounds.  Furthermore, my
shop at this time of year is very dry.
    I purchased the Thermoset #100 resin & hardener from McCall Enterprises,
247 Monroe Avenue, Pomona, CA  91767 - (if still in business).  The
manufacturer is, Thermoset Plastics Inc., 5101 East 65th Street,
Indianapolis, IN  46220.
When I contacted them they referred me to their distributor in Indianapolis;
Meyers Plastic Inc., P.O. Box 20902, 5101 65th Avenue, Indianapolis, IN
46220.  Most likely a division of Thermoset.  Meyers Plastics telephone
-(317)259-0902.      Besides Thermoset, there must be some other good paste
epoxies around?

Al Jeschke
Calgary, Alberta