String breakage

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 05:33:22 -0600 (MDT)

	Mike and all,

	I, too, have been curious as to the scientific explanation of the
different sounds which different pianists can produce. I have listened to
pianists whose touch made the piano sound out of tune (not because of
excessive volume) and then the next pianist sat down to the piano and made
it sound beautifully in tune.
	I have wondered if the differences could be accounted for by the
fact that the hammer may be accelerating in speed as it strikes the string
or decelerating in it speed. Perhaps this possibility, along with widely
differing rates of acceleration and deceleration may provide the answer.