Notes 85-86-87-88

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 07:37:45 -0700 (MST)

Dear Frank:

You make a very good point when you say: " The piano seems to decide
what the ear will like.  Why?"

I could add that even the voicing determines how the tuning should be.
If the center section of a piano is very bright (lots of high partial
content), its very sharp 8th 12th and 16th partials will demand sharper
tuning of the high treble. If the center of the piano has stronger lower
partials, then the weaker higher partials will not be crying out for
satisfaction in the tuning of the high treble.

Jim Coleman, Sr.