Notes 85-86-87-88.ab

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 14:25:02 -0400 (EDT)

<< Thanks for being so honest.  I've tuned electronically for over 20 years
 and have always found sharp trebles by most aural tuners. (Not meant to be
 anything against aural tuners!!)  >>

I tune aurally and have also found many pianos way too sharp in the top
octave. My take on that is that the tuner has heard that you need to stretch
the octave. He may have been unaware that a zero beat octave is by definition
stretched-because the higher note is tuned to the first harmonic of the lower
octave. Due to wire stiffness at the termination points, etc., that first
harmonic is measurably sharp... by a strobe, not the ear. Another factor
could be atmospheric shift of the bridges via the soundboard. The shorter the
string, the more a shift in the bridge will effect it, being a great
proportion of its speaking length. In any case, if the ear is the final
judge, why not use it in the first place? I don't understand.
Respectfully, Sam Grossner chicago.