bridges/seating

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 21:33:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi John,

Aha! I've got you now.

If the string is flailing up and down on the bridge pin enough to cause the=
 false beat, why wouldn't the balanced vertical excursion forces of the=
 string (up force =3D down force, on average) plus the built in downbearing=
 force equal a positive down force that sets the string nicely on the=
 bridge? How could it slide vertically at all after the initial attack and=
 not seat automatically? If, on the other hand, the string has jumped up and=
 stuck to the pin firmly enough to defy the positive downbearing plus the=
 down stroke of string excursion, it would seem to be pretty firmly=
 terminated wouldn't it? Don't try to tell me it's stuck on the BACK pin and=
 sliding on the front, either. I'm not as look as I dumb. Also, breaking the=
 string loose with a minimal tap would still smack the string down onto the=
 bridge with slightly more than the downbearing force at rest. What is a=
 reasonable average downbearing force per string in, say, octave six?=
 Anyway, the point is it's hitting the bridge harder than you hit it. Not=
 that that's horrible, just an observation. Hello, hello, are you still=
 there? Well, this  certainly isn't 900 number stuff (I'm told <G>) but,=
 yea, it is kind of fun. Maybe Psychic Hotline could help. You're it.

Still unconvinced but persevering,
                                     Ron Nossaman

 <******** deleted all other history ********> Ron Nossaman