String motions

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:33:55 -0700 (MST)

Hi Robert and all:

back in the late 60's I had occasion to do strobe light studies of
string vibration modes.  We had a grand action model which could be
used to excite the single string of your monochord. With strings
terminated over a simulated V-Bar at each end of the speaking length,
the string exhibited an elliptical motion which rotated from side to
side in planes almost as steep as these:   /    \ .  It was not circular
but elliptical.  Although I did not do this experiment, I suspect that
if we had used a bridge pin type termination with the bridge pin slanting
upward to the left, the elliptical would have alternated between  |  \.
If I find time, I may try to duplicate this experiment.

For those of you not familiar with strobe lights, some can be varied in
speed to match a particular mode of vibration so that it appears that the
string is standing still or moving very slowly.

Jim Coleman, Sr.