Prepared piano

KUANG v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 07:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list:

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Les Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, David ilvedson wrote:
>
> > > Date:          Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:01:04 -0700
> > > From:          Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
> > > Subject:       Prepared piano
> > > To:            pianotech@byu.edu
> >
> > Rick,
> >
> > It seems that a bit of tape on the agraffe and/or damper head
> > can give the pianist a good idea where to strike unless he
> > insists on working beyond the dampers.
> >
> > David ilvedson, RPT
> > Pacifica, CA
>
> Okay. Get ready. What follows is  a personal opinion. Subjective at best;
> REALLY biased at worst. As someone who has been both playing and servicing
> pianos for virtually my entire life I'd like to make a comment on this re-

I started playing piano since age of 3 :)  Not so early with tuning
though (fortunately).

> cent thread on "prepared" pianos. Not only doesn't it matter HOW one marks
> the strings for a prepared piano, neither does it matter IF they marked at
> all, the noise and nonsense which follows will be equally as bad. I mean,

I play piano in a wind ensemble and occasionally I have to play inside the
piano (pick the strings, glissando on certain notes, hit a
note...whatever).  And I never had to mark anything to identify notes.  I
noticed when a composer ask a pianist to do so, he/she always give the
pianist _enough_ time (to get up, identify strings...etc).  How do I
identify strings?  Well, I press the note slightly (any pianist should be
able to do this quickly) without letting the hammer hit the strings and I
look which damper has moved.

> comparatively-speaking, even when Jerry Lee poured lighter-fluid in his

That's interesting, I never heard of it.

> piano, tossed in a match, set it on fire and kept on playing, at least it
> served to enhance the effectiveness of the music being played.  I guess
> what it comes down to is that I would much rather hear a prepared PIANIST,
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's what practice is for!
Imagine a violinist with colorful marks on the figerboard of his/her violin.
I wouldn't say he/she is prepared :)

I'm so proud of myself (I didn't say I practiced when I had to play
inside the piano) for not marking inside the piano, ever.

> than a prepared piano!
>
> Les (sometimes accused of being opinionated!) Smith
> lessmith@buffnet.net

Kuang Wang

by the way, I hate playing on rusty piano strings with my finger.  I get
yellow fingertips!!  Also, the sweat of the pianist can shorten the
strings' life, you might want to clean them afterwards.