Bass Strings Done

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:40:34 -0400

Thanks to all for your responses. Over the weekend I did the wholesale bass
string replacement on the KG-2C. With replacements in hand (from Mapes - very
nice strings!), I pulled out all the old bass strings, cleaned the piano,
restrung it (took me about 4 hours), and am now tuning, tuning, tuning. The
tenor/treble did not go that far out of wack, had no problems during the
restringing, never heard any creaks or groans, didn't notice the soundboard move
around - it turned out beautifully! I tightened up all the plate bolts/screws
before hand. I also twist the single unisons 180 degrees and double unison
strings 360 degrees (I know there is debate on this practice).

Whenever in doubt, though, I would be cautious. This Kawai grand is a fairly
popular model and lots of info exists for it, and Don Manino backed-up Newton's
advice.

I will be restringing a 1917 Sohmer Cupid this summer, and you can bet I will be
very careful how I let down the string tension and bring it back up (these
pianos have a history of plate breakage). An excellent technician I know in town
attempted a bass string replacement on a Sohmer Cupid several years ago. He told
me he will never forget the terrible sound of the plate cracking after he got
all of the bass strings out. He didn't let any of the tenor/treble strings down
- but now he does no matter what!

Warmest Regards,

John Piesik, RPT
Carlsbad, CA

Pull them all out, clean the piano, restring and tune tune tune tuen.

There is no danger in letting the tension off the bass bridge.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com