Loose pinblock

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

Using a pinblock-restorer and setting the pinos, too, is often a good
idea. HOWEVER use the PBR *first* and then, when it's done its stuff,
set the pins. Don't set the pins first and then use the PBR. Although
a lot has been writtn recently about the use of CA glue, the pins in
your piano sound so loose that I think you might be better off using
Garfield's Pinblock Restorer, applied with a hypo-oiler. If the pins
are really loose and you don't have to contend with plate bushings,
you can make the first treatment full-strength--that is without dilut-
ing the Garfield's 50/50 with alcohol as is usually done. If the piano
does have plate bushings around the tuning pins, putting a small hole
in them on the *keyboard* side of the bushing will often aid absorption
into the pinblock. Make sure you remove the action BEFORE doping the
block. If you think Garfield's works well on tuning pins, just wait
till you can see how it can tighten up action centers! :) Initially,
go over the pinblock at least twice with the Garfield's, or until the
pinblock won't absorb any more. Give it a week to do its stuff. If the
pins are still somewhat loose, give it another treatment and wait another
week. Sometimes multiple applications are required, but Garfields has
withstood the test of time and many technicians swear by it. Once the
pins feel tight enough, you can go through and set the pins a little
deeper into the block as extra insurance. Do this with the action OUT
of the piano and use a pinblock support jack under the block as you are
pounding the pins in. If you don't, your pounding may cause the block
to delaminate or separate, especially in older pianos. I've seen pianos
where the action couldn't be removed because some bozo technician had
started pounding on tuning pins without supporting the block, and the
lower laminations were sitting on the hammer flanges. Don't let this
happen to you!

Before attempting any repair on this instrument, I suggest that you re-
move the action and inspect the pinblock VERY CAREFULLY. You mentioned
that it appeared as if another technician had already attempted to set
some of the pins. It's possible that the pinblock may already be damaged
beyond any hope of repair, if he chose to pound in those pins without
supporting the pinblock first. So check it out thoroughly for damage
BEFORE attempting any repair. If your use of PBR and setting the pins
fails to correct the loose pin problem, and you later discover that the
pinblock is, indeed, delaminated due to the pounding of the previous
technician, the owner may decide that YOU are to blame and not he! So
check out that PB thorougly, before attempting any repair. In other
words, CYA!

Good luck!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net