Loose Plate bolts, Baldwin SD-10

Kirk Beasley Kirk_Beasley@msn.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:08:11 +0000 (UT)

I assume this piano has the Baldwin patented plate mounting system.  In the
Baldwin plate mounting system, the plate height is determined at only three
points: a large diameter flathead screw in the inner rim behind the bass
bridge, and the treble and bass corners of the pinblock.  The holes for the
rim bolts are threaded, as are the holes in the inner rim for these bolts.
The rim rests on the three points mentioned and on the threads of the screws
of the rim bolts, there is nothing else underneath the rim.  Sam Goodlander's
idea was to make it easy to level the plate during installation with the least
amount of stress around the perimeter of the rim. To my knowledge there is no
minimum torque requirement to be met in this system.

I would recommend a call to Kent Webb @ 800-876-2976, ext 8585 for the best
procedure to follow in returning the plate bolts to their proper elevation
ASAP.

Kirk Beasley
former shop rat of the Piano Research Lab at Baldwin