Loose pinblock

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:41:05 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

Well, at least you know you are not on my delete list.  If the loose
tuning pins of a vertical piano are all in one straight horizontal
row, I would suspect an internal split in the block.  In such case, PBR
will not solve the problem. Neither will oversized pins.  We have had
success in pulling only the row of affected pins, hooking the loose string
coils over neighboring pins, and filling the pin holes with boat resin
or even epoxy. The next day, we would drill out the holes for 00 pins and
reinstall the pins and strings. Sometimes when there was extensive
splitting of the block, it would take maybe a half gallon of resin.
It would be good to look behind the piano first where you can see the
bottom edge of the pinblock. If there are splits or cracks there, the
resin will run right through. Seal it good with duct tape first.

Jim Coleman, Sr.