Loose pinblock

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:42:02 -0500

Hi Jim,

> Well, at least you know you are not on my delete list.

	Certainly glad of that! : )

 >If the loose
> tuning pins of a vertical piano are all in one straight horizontal
> row, I would suspect an internal split in the block.

	Didn't notice, but since this piano did not have plate bushing, the
holes thru the plate are smaller, and I didn't find any to be rubbing
against the holes, but I would want to take a second look.
> In such case, PBR
> will not solve the problem.

	and might mess up the situation if boat resin or epoxy has to be
used.

>Neither will oversized pins.  We have had
> success in pulling only the row of affected pins, hooking the loose
string
> coils over neighboring pins, and filling the pin holes with boat
resin
> or even epoxy.

	Makes me want to get a hold of the ear doctor's otoscope.  Hmm I
wonder if vets use them, if so I know where I might borrow one.
Seems like one might see the splitting if it is that bad.    I will
post the results if I can try this.

>The next day, we would drill out the holes for 00 pins and
> reinstall the pins and strings. Sometimes when there was extensive
> splitting of the block, it would take maybe a half gallon of resin.

	Half a gallon?  Holy buckets!!  I don't think the piano is worth
half a pint. I imagine that stuff is awfully expensive.

> It would be good to look behind the piano first where you can see
the
> bottom edge of the pinblock. If there are splits or cracks there,
the
> resin will run right through. Seal it good with duct tape first.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr

	And now I am wondering if the pin block is trying to pull forward.
I have repaired a few of these, but don't remember loose pins also.
But it seems like if it was pulling forward the laminations towards
the bottom could be splitting.  I'll check it out.
	I was thinking too that if laminations are splitting, I could put a
small becket on a piano wire and drag it thru  the hole.  If it
catches it might indicate a separation. And now that I think about
the way the s b is split, I shouldn't be surprised to see the same
condition in the pb.  I have never had a "split" block before.

Thanks for the reply.  Nice to see a little humor is tolerated even
if it fails the 'push the send button test'.

Richard Moody
..