Loose Plate bolts, Baldwin SD-10

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:35:57 -0400 (EDT)

Warren,

If indeed this is one of the newer SD-10's, that is , one built in the
last thirty years, you may have a
 manageable solution. As Jim Coleman said, the plate is mounted on a
double thread system ... the plate has threads as well as the inner rim.
So when the plate is suspended at a given height, the bolt can be
tightened holding the plate above the rim.  So I'm guessing that the
threads in the plate have stripped out.

In the factory we used a repair device I believe is called a Heli-Coil.
I've seen these at hardware stores. It looks like a coil spring. You just
drill out the stripped hole at a given larger size , retap the hole, and
insert the coil. Then your back in business.

I wish I could give you more details, but it's been a few years.

Hope this helps.

Charles Faulk, RPT
Manhattan, KS