Optimizing repetition

Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:43:26 -0700

See below Joel's comment:

>FSSturm@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> A couple weeks ago, I tuned for Alicia Dellarocha (did I spell that right?)
>> when she was here in Albuquerque, on tour with the Cincinnati symphony.
>>
>> Dellarocha's only complaint was that repetition in the octave 5-6 area was
>> not rapid and reliable enough. She demonstrated to me what the problem was.
>
>With Alicia deLarrocha, the thing to notice is that she wants the
>repetition down at the ***bottom*** of the key travel.  She wants it
>fast and she wants it consistent.  We have worked with her several times
>and when she gets what she needs, the smile on her face is reward
>enough!

The consistency is sometimes a problem on  a piano with front rail
punchings that are too soft.  After a good deal of playing with different
things, I have wound up using the Renner-supplied  Bosendorfer punchings.
What makes them superior is that they will maintain a consistent keydip
with a variety of "touch"  (read "hardness of blow") - the result is that
you have a sound (sorry) foundation on which to build the rest of the
regulation.

Ms. deLarrocha also exhibits the same problems of many other older
pianists, her hands are beginning to be somewhat crippled from arthritis.
Thus, while she still has incredible control in some had positions, others
are either too painful to use, or simply do not work.  She is still early
enough in this process that her Ravel is still _quite_ wonderful.  On the
other hand, if one watches her play passages with lots of repeated notes,
she is not longer as far "into" (read "toward the fallboard") as she used
to be - thus, the regularity of the keydip/aftertouch is even more
important for her than it used to be.

I want to see what else Joel has to say about this....

Best to all.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"Always forgive your enemies,