Tonal control from the keyboard

Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:12:59 -0700

HI,

Am I the only one on the list who was present at the dedicatory concert
for the 500,000th Steinway?

That night, those of us there heard a variety of pianists play on 3
different pianos.  I have never seen/heard a more graphic demonstration
of different pianists making the same piano(s) sound _very_ different.

Unfortunately, the CD made from that performance is of such appallingly
low quality as to be useless for hearing what actually went on that
night.

By-the-bye, I've included what follows as what my Eudora interpreted
from this last post:

> Richard Moody wrote:

>---------- <italic>> From: John Elliott
<<jelliott@webgate.net></italic> <italic>> To:
pianotech@byu.edu</italic> <italic>> Subject: Re: Tonal control from
the keyboard</italic> <italic>> Date: Sunday, April 13, 1997 11:30
pianotech@byu.edu</italic> <italic>> Subject: Re: Tonal control from
the keyboard</italic> <italic>> Date: Sunday, April 13, 1997 3:01
Richard Moody:</italic> <italic>> >The only thing a piano keyboard can
do in regard to tonal quality</italic> (or <italic>> >control) is vary
<italic>> Another factor I have seen mentioned is oscillation of the
shank</italic> and hammer <italic>> head. Take for example two blows,
each causing the same sound</italic> pressure level <italic>> but one
of which is a staccato style, which has most of its force</italic> at
the <italic>> beginning, and one a more "pushing" blow. Although the
hammers</italic> reach the same <italic>> final speed, some would say
that a different set of oscillations</italic> are set up  Now, there's
a bunch of malarky if I ever heard any.....  Balooney. State your
facts.

>Balooney.&nbsp; State yours!

>  Richard Moody ps Wo your signature or intitials in split post
replies, it makes it difficult to see who is saying what. pps&nbsp;
those little greater thans,&nbsp; >>> mean something, deleting those
makes it really confusing.&nbsp; There is a very excellent faq on
posting to the Internet from Yahoo....

I don't know how others see the above, but I find it hard to read.
Sorry.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu