Loose pinblock

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:44:49 -0500

Hi Les,
	Hmm I guess it is spelled Schaaf, at least in Pierce and Doldge.
There is a Schaff Bros. Were they related to Schaff Co. of today.
Also did  Joseph Hale have anything to do with Hale tools?
	I am going to pull one pin and look.  If I get hold an otoscope, I
might for sh*ts and giggles pull a few more to have fun with the
thing.  If things look ok,  I am gonna tilt'er on the tilter, (more
on that) and lay on the Garfields.  Have estimated an hour service
call for that which the owner has agreed.  They understand that we
need to see if the remedy holds or fails and are willing to put up an
hour fee to find out. If it fails I will remove the piano at my cost,
(a $60 estimate as four steps are involved.)  I like to sweeten the
kitty as gamblers say.
	It was bought for $30 at a community consignment auction in Kimball
SD. (pop 750)  I had tuned it a year earlier in the private school it
belonged to. The pins were holding then. In fact on the invoice I had
written "Tuning pins OK".  Hmm and now the bottom row is loose a year
later?? Still I will bet $100 in labor Garfields will work.  This
time Les can't be right again from hundreds of miles away. : ) I know
the garage the piano spent the summer of 96 in after it was moved
from the school basement.
	The school moved and sold its surplus including 2 old uprights.
The other one a Price and Teeple with "cracked B bridge chewed damper
felts FR felts missing on many notes at 438."  The Schaaf had to be
left 50 cents flat.  The reason it bought $30 at the sale is because
I bid "$25 and go" and the person who asked me which one was better
bid $30. Every body knows everyone in a small town right?  Well the
person who bought the Schaaf happens to be my ISP, (he is manager of
the local phone co.) so if I mysteriously disappear from the list,
you can guess the Garfields didn't work. :)
	The Adam Schaaf ain't that bottom of the line.  The case is
simulated Rosewood, (can't be real Rosewood can it?) decent organ
type music rack, the muffler strip long gone was attached to the end
brackets and simply swings up and back for the tuner. (something like
Samick and Yahama should do).  The action has steel butt plates (ages
since I have seen one of those) which were loose, but tightened up
easily because the damper arms were spaced so that the plate screws
were accessable.  Nice thought.  Of course these plates cannot be
seen before the action is removed, so at first (while at the school)
I thought the action had to be repinned. The invoice shows my
estimate for repinning went from 200-300 to 30 to tighten butt
plates. Of course we'll worry about the grooves later, and three or
four notes will have to be repinned.  (When she gets to those in her
lessons)
	So now its time to look for an otoscope or see what the macro
setting on the handy cam does.  Also build that dream  tilter because
I'm too cheep to spend 300 on a nice wooden one.  No I'd rather spend
30 on materials and 500 worth of time trying to build my own, that
probably won't be as good as the factory made one.
----------
> From: Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Loose pinblock
> Date: Tuesday, April 15, 1997 10:22 AM
>
> Hi, Richard!
>
> Here's perhaps a somewhat different take on the old Schaaf upright.
> Kenny Roger's said it best, "Ya gotta know when to hold...know when
> to fold." This might be one of those situations in which you'd be
> better off folding. First of all, quality-wise, if that old Schaaf
> upright wasn't right on the very bottom of the barrel, it was sure
> close. Secondly, from the way you describe it, it sounnds like the
> pinblock, itself, is shot and way beyond any help that Garfield's,
> or CA glue might be able to give. It also sounds like the problem
> has been around for a while, because you said that the pins had al-
> ready been set it so close to the plate that there was no more room
> to set them any further. While you  *could* attempt a repair with
> either boat resin or epoxy, consider how much time it's going to

> take and how much you're going to have to charge to make any profit

> at all. Is the piano worth it? Will the owner go fot it? What if it

> doesn't work? Will you still get paid? Really?
>
> Someone mentioned a while ago that "there are some pianos out there
> that will make you look like a bum, no matter how good you are.
Stay
> away from them." This sounds like one of those pianos. Walk away.
Fast!