damper seating

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:26:41 -0400 (EDT)

Dear List:

I have been having a little trouble with trichord felt in the last two
pianos. Namely, on a soft blow or on a gradual return on the key or sustain
pedal. Several trichords do not seat, and the note sustains. On a hard blow,
they will seat. Namely, is there a way to repair this without tearing off the
new felt? Can I comb the felt or something? I have noticed that the old style
felts employed a blocking felt in the rear. I have been using trichord both
front and rear, but have not had this problem till recently. I have oriented
the new felt the same way each time. I dare say the method of installation is
correct. I orient the damper head over the new felt and then tighten the
block. Then I remove the felt and replace it with glue.  I solved the last
problem by using upright trichord felt. The wood backed kind, modified. The
narrower slopes seem to seat better, even tho I was using "grand" trichord in
strips. Enough already. Any ideas? Yours Truly, Sam Grossner Chicago.