damper seating

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:28:31 -0700

SGrossner@aol.com wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I have been having a little trouble with trichord felt in the last two
> pianos. Namely, on a soft blow or on a gradual return on the key or sustain
> pedal. Several trichords do not seat, and the note sustains.  Any ideas? Yours Truly, Sam Grossner Chicago.

Sam,

In our humidity, the trichord felts frequently swell somehow so that the
felts don't fit between the strings and do just that!  I have a pair of
pliers from APSCO that I use to press the individual wedges of the
trichord to make them thinner if necessary.  Use judiciously, you can
make them too small!  I also trim the wedges just below the impressions
of the strings in the felt so that all that felt doesn't have to get in
between the two strings in order for damping to take place. If you use
the above pliers sometimes you have to retrim because it makes the felt
longer.

Good Luck,

Warren

--