Ya gotta have halls

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:50:25 -0700

Ed:

We have what I think is an excellent hall here at SMU.  It currently
seats about 500, but there is a balcony that could be used with not too
much remodeling.

The hall is tall (esential), the stage is large enough for an orchestra,
and the accoustics are excellent.  There are few parallel surfaces and
the accoustics are tunable.  The side walls are louvered panels with
heavy copper on them.  You can open these panels and there is accoustic
deadening material behind.  That way you can have it as you want it.

The organists want all of them closed so they can have max reverb.  For
piano I find that it is good to open them up some otherwise it's too
live and notes (particularly in fast passages) blur together.  With the
louvers open some, it's great for piano.  Our guitar teacher (who plays
all over the world) says this is the best hall for guitar performance.

The hall was built in the early 1960s.  Get the school to send you here
and check it out.  You can visit the Meyerson Symphony center too while
here.  Although that is very large it is an accoustical marvel.

If I can help.......

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts