Regulating tables

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have problbly one of the most unique tables in the industry. It is a 3' x
12'x 3" thick conference table, set on a 3' x 10'  table constructed of 3/4"
plywood, set on top of a frame made out of 4x4s'. The table is 3' tall, and
just the right hight for me. The neat thing aobut this table, is that it
didn't cost me a dime.

Here is how I got these tables. 14 years ago I went into partnership with a
refinisher. Both of us were working out of our respective garages, and we
need more space.  He had just completed the conference table when we were
ready to move, so he called the company for whom he did the work and told
them the table was ready. They sent over a check, but told him they couldn't
pick up the table for a couple of weeks, and asked if we could take the table
to our new shop. We put the table on its side in the spray room, and let it
sit there, under cover, waiting for it to be picked up. About 2 years later,
that's right 2 YEARS, the company called and asked if we still had the table.
We said yes, but we needed more money to clean it, before we would allow it
to be dilvered. They said fine, and sent us some more money. By then the
partnership fell appart, and my partner moved out, but I kept the table, (he
didn't have any place to put it). I  waited another 6 months, and finally
dicided they were never going to call for it, so I started using it for a
regulating table. 2 years after that, I moved out of the shop, and moved back
to my shop next to my house, and I took the tabel with me.

That is how I got the conference table. When we moved into the larger
facility,  it was previously occupied by a company that made marble sinks and
bathtubs. They used big heavy tabels made out of 4 x 4, with 3/4" plywood on
top. They left 4 of them. The 3'x'10' I use under the conferernce table, and
I use a 3' x 6'  table for my drill press. The other two I think we threw
away, because the were not very solid.

Both tables are solid, and flat. I can work on 3 or 4 actions at the same
time, or I can  "spread out" and do key tops and work on the frame and stack,
all at the same time.

Wim Blees
St. Louis