Seating/false beats

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:37:05 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:23:39 -0700
> From:          Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> Subject:       Re: Seating/false beats
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

It seems to me that the important thing is to aware of this
possiblity and keep an eye/ear out for it.  I never routinely
tap at the bridge but if I hear fuzzy tone I will tap that
unison and watch for the string's movement down.  If I don't see
physical movement I look elsewhere.  There are times especially
in Yamaha's where seating at the bridge can make a world of
difference.  Once again the important word is "tap"!!!  It
doesn't take much to seat the string if it needs it.  An
appropriate tool would be a hammer shank or brass drift.  I have
also just tapped the bridgepins themselves to see if the tone
clears up.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

ilvey, RPT