changing treble strings..

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:27:17 -0700

Avery Todd wrote:

>keep the wire under tension while making
> the coil. If you're in an agraffe section, make sure you put the wire
> through the agraffe BEFORE making the coil. :-)

Avery, a wrinkle I've used for years, that I've never heard of anyone
else using is a method for preventing the string from jumping off the
hitch pin while you're feeding it through the agraffe hole.  I had
several people recommend snapping a vise grip on the hitch pin but I
never liked walking around the piano to do that chore nor the marks the
visegrip makes on the side of the pin.  What I do is route the wire
around the hitch, pull the wire tight OVER the pressure bar and cut the
wire long. Then I grasp the wire with my left hand (I'm right-handed)
right behind the damper area (if they are in the piano) hold tension on
the string leading into the hitch and loop the remainder of the string
around in a verticle loop so that the end points under the v-bar to the
agraffe.  Insert the wire into the correct hole, grasp the end with your
right hand and pull it through the hole while you slowly release the
vertical loop.  If you do it right, the hitch will always be under
tension and the wire won't jump off.

>I pull the string up in increments, squeezing the becket

The best tool I have found for squeezing beckets is a pair of parallel
pliers!  Wide and no teeth!

What'cha think?

Warren

--