damper seating

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:03:18 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          BobDavis88@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: damper seating
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

String leveling is a great strand...At our next chapter meeting
in Marin County, chapter member Chris Ris is going to
demonstrate his string leveling jig/device of some sort.  I
guess its purpose is to show you the level of the strings.  I'll
report back on his ideas.  I at one time tried a wooden key
bushing caul which I placed upside down on the three string
unison.  Often it would be obvious that the middle was high or
one side or the other was high/low.  When I was close I would
tap the outer strings to see if the caul would lean one way or
the other more readily, telling me that string I tapped was low
or high.  It seemed to work pretty good, a little slow.  Now I
use my fingers ala Yamaha and have developed a fairly good feel
for level strings.  Of course when the hammer strikepoint has a
nice clean level surface and the strings are level I file with
thin strips of backed sandpaper or thin nail files to finish the
procedure.

David ilvey, RPT
Pacifica, CA