Damper lifter

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:32:42 -0500

Hi List,
   Today I tuned a Wurlitzer G-461 grand which, besides needing tuned, also
needed damper sustain work.  This Wurlitzer was built by Young Chang and
has a different type of damper lifter mechanism than what I am used to.
There is a large flange at each end of the lifter bar and the flanges are
pinned.  The problem is that the pins have worked out and the lifter rod
doesn't move when the pedal is depressed.  The pedal adjustment is not at
fault; it is adjusted with very little lost motion.  I spent an hour trying
to install new center pins with no success.  I finally realized that the
lifter rod mechanism had to come out for me to do the repair.  A close look
told me that in order to remove the mechanism I would have to loosen and
remove each and every damper wire, then remove the sostenuto blade.   I
called YC and they suggested running a long philips screwdriver down
between the strings to loosen the flange screws.  That was impossible.
There is no room above the flange screws to get anything in there.  If any
of you have solved this problem without the involved method described
above, please let me know.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL