Bass String Replacement and BOOM

Antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:11:40 +0000

>If we could go back to this contribution from BTT (Before Tax Time):  A
>chilling report from Antares.  I, for one, would like to know a little
>more about this piano.  Was it a modern design?  Was it up to pitch at
>the time of destringing?  Was it an older piano intended for a lower
>pitch level that was up to a=3D440Hz level?  Was the soundboard in healthy
>shape to begin with?  Was it dried out excessively?

Well my friends,
I will give you the details (yes I am generous, hushhh....be quiet).
It was an older piano (somewhere around 1915-1920, the unfortunate =
incident was in the midst of winter so conditions were very dry, the =
soundboard had suffered from humidity changes because the varnish was =
craquel=E9 (whatever that is in inglese, could someone tell me =
please?) which is always a sign of extreme conditions, and the left =
side of the soundboard was bulging outwards (yes..to the front, mind =
you)  after having taking off the bass strings. then... >>BOOM<< !!
I cried, I paid, and I shed more tears.
Exit...Finito

So..I have said it, now try for your self.

Antares