Seating and false beats

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:23:32 -0700 (MST)

Ron N. pointed out that the amount of movement of the string termination
at the bridge is a smaller percent of the speaking length in the lower
portion of the stringing scale.  This is true.  However, it still can be
noticed as a very slow beat.  It's only in the 5 and 6th octaves that it
really bothers us as we tune.

He also questions whether or not string tapping is done on the back side
of the bridge.  Yes, it is, and also at the hitch pins, on both sides of
the aliquots, both sides of the V-Bar, and both sides of the counter-
bearing bar.

For those who do much rebuilding, you have noticed that the string grooves
are not as deep in the center of the bridge as they are at the front and
back bridge pins.  One well respected technician of our area used to
further indent the center of the bridge to even out the grooves before
re-notching the bridges and putting in larger bridge pins.  This was his
approach for eliminating the wild string effects.  When I say that he used
to do this, I should explain that George Pleis died several years ago,
otherwise he would still be doing it.

Jim Coleman, Sr.