shop-built tilter? (was Re: Loose pinblock

Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:18:30 -0700

List,

Oops.

As Allan points out, I was a  little lax.

My table is made up of 2"x2"x60" maple "glued and screwed" to a depth of
45", then planed very flat.

As a p.s. to some of the other comments, I'd suggest that while there is no
question but what the final regulation _must_ be done in the piano, a
reasonable approximation _can_ be done on a bench - IFF, of course, the
#*%^&#)Q keyframe is not so flexible as to mean that it can't be regulated
to begin with...

Best.

Horace

><< ps that reminds me of Horace's 2 inch by 2 inch solid  maple
> regulating table.  He must service the Pierce miniature piano
> collection, or there is a lot of Scotch in him. --x(~:=DE
>  >>

>Richard,
>
>Scotch or Scot?  My Scottish grandfather always told me that Scotch was
>something you drink.
>
>Seriously though, I've been tinkering with the idea of building a heavy sho=
>tilter and have talked to my machinst about making metal "brackets" for the
>curves and cleats and then make the frame from maple.  If you have one of t=
he
>tubular metal tilters around, you could probably get a good start on the
>dimensions.  One thought on making it to break down is to use through
>mortices with a key that wedges as is sometimes used on old workbenches or
>trestle tables.  I remember seeing an article on this in Fine Woodworking
>sometime back.  This way you could just knock the wedges out to break it do=
wn
>and tap then in for a tight fir on setup, although I would sure want to do
>some testing before trusting it to be stable to hold the weight of an old
>upright.
>
>BTW, I ran across a patent listing of some device to tilt grands with one
>person.  I couldn't download the picture so I'm still a little fuzzy on the
>construction.  Should be interesting though.
>
>Allan
>
>Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
>Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
>Berry College