Seating/false beats

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:45:51 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:03 AM 4/18/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Susan,
>
>Such fun.

Glad to hear it. I think so, too.

>>If CA is put on when the pins are new, do the strings ride up at all?
>
>I played with this for a while, and did not notice any substantive improvement.

Too bad .. I was hoping that CA might control the whole thing.

>>Is there some form of lubrication, also when the bridge was new, which would
>>prevent them ever creeping up (if creeping is what they do), without
>>clogging the tone?
>
>Yep, it's called graphite.

Sure, you can double the life of violin and cello strings by rubbing pencil
lead in the grooves at the nut and bridge; but contact with wood wasn't what
I meant. I meant the metal-metal of the bridge pin and wire, which is where
the friction seems to do the damage (making grooves, hanging up). I was
thinking more along the lines of a drop of Protek, dabbed on right at the
front bridge pin, while the bridge pin was new and unmarked. I was afraid of
clogging the tone later, though, and unsure if it would improve the problem.

Full speed ahead, if ahead is where we're going!

Susan Kline
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370