Optimizing repetition (revisited)

Jerry Anderson jandy@MicroNet.fr
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 23:23:03 +0200 (MET DST)

I'm sorry to come in late on this discussion of repetition
and jack position, but I was snowed under by work
as this interesting thread was being developed.

I feel that it is pertinent to mention that  any alteration
of the jack position vis-a-vis let-off necessarily implies a change
in the jack position when the key is in the rest position.

Our jack regulating method here in Paris, which conforms to Hamburg
procedures, is to regulate the jack, not in relation to the knuckle core,
but in relation to the angle the jack forms with the hammer shank.
This is in order  to maximize the amount of energy transferred to the hammer
shank from the pianist's finger in the first moment of key movement.

The principle is that the maximum amount of energy is transferred from
the key to the hammer shank when the jack is perpendicular to the
hammer shank at rest position.  If the jack is in any other position
the maximum energy transfer either peaks after the hammer has begun to
move (too late for maximum acceleration), or not at all (in the case where
the jack is regulated leaning slightly towards the hammer).

We do our jack regulating by lifting the neighbor hammers out of the way,
pushing the neighbor wippen gently to one side and sighting down the jack
to look for a 90 degree angle with the hammer shank.  Striking distance
and rep lever height have to be correct  to do this.

This is, of course, a description of an ideal situation.  Dozens of
variations in parts dimentions, rail positions,  wear, hammer boring,
etc., can and do necessitate compromises, and it is impossible to
ignore the jack's position in relation to the knuckle. There's always
room for a little tinkering, but we try for the most rapid response at the
beginning of key movement.

To develop what has already been discussed about repetition from the
bottom portion of key dip... if an action is regulated carefully and uniformly,
I believe that a first rate pianist can find a comfortable and rapid repetition
without letting the jack return completely to its rest position against the
spoon.
The essential is the uniformity of regulation so that the pianist feels the
minimum
risk in letting the key rise the minimum amount.  If this amount is uniform and
well defined, I believe the pianist will feel relatively at ease, even if
the piano is
not the fastest in the world.  Clearly, no two pianos will be alike in this
respect.
The various comments others have offered about drop, springs, key felt, and
lever position are all excellent and important.

We've talked a lot about the top action in regard to rapid repetition, but I
think
it bears mentioning (even if it seems obvious) that consistent repetition also
depends heavily on the stability of the action.  If the action starts bouncing
even slightly due to poorly set glider bolts, stripped out action bracket
screws,
cracked rails, or if the key returns to an inconsistent position due to deformed
key holes or worn key bushings,  the repetition will naturally become less
controllable and the pianist will glower.

Jerry Anderson