Optimizing repetition (revisited)

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 01:37:45 -0500

----------
> From: Jerry Anderson <jandy@MicroNet.fr>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re:Optimizing repetition (revisited)
> Date: Friday, April 18, 1997 4:23 PM
>

> The principle is that the maximum amount of energy is transferred
from
> the key to the hammer shank when the jack is perpendicular to the
> hammer shank at rest position.  If the jack is in any other
position
> the maximum energy transfer either peaks after the hammer has begun
> move (too late for maximum acceleration), or not at all.

In my neighborhood Newton's laws of acceleration are      in force,
as long as there is contact of the jack with the hammer (knuckle)
during any phase of its movement. Maximum energy transfer can occur
at any point, depending on the downward velocity of the key. The most
efficient energy transfer (not necessairly maximum) should occur as
you suggest at 90 degrees of the jack to the hammer shank.
	Whether this perpendicular relationship should occur at the moment
of movement or say half way through the movement is a matter of
secret considerations by action makers.  If that is the case,  then
they should supply the angle of the jack to the hammer  shank  when
the action is at their specs.  Now who does that?
Richard The Home Boy Moody
ps  This should apply even though Public Radio today announced that
the universe might be twisted.  ie that not all distances are the
same in every direction.