Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 12:40:12 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Susan & all,

My whole point here is that I'm NOT assuming the string gets up there by=
 hopping, creeping, or anything having to do with being struck by a hammer.=
 I still haven't seen a clear argument in support of this. That's why I=
 proposed the argument that strings driven up the bridge pins by a blow=
 would go sharp as they were stretched through a wider stagger angle. I=
 asked if anyone had ever seen a piano driven SHARP by heavy play. In an=
 environment where the heat and humidity have been reasonably stabile, the=
 piano is tuned, beat through a recital, and tuned again for a later one, we=
 should see that ol' octave 5 1/2 - 6 debil going significantly sharp if=
 strings are being driven up the pins. I haven't seen this. If they are=
 creeping up over a period of time, there are too many variable conditions=
 to be able to separate this conjecture from that of the bridge swelling=
 from humidity increase and leaving the pins stranded high when it recedes.=
 There isn't any conclusive evidence for creeping. Unless someone can come=
 up with a logical scenario in support of impact induced pin climbing/creep,=
 I'll have to consider the humidity model the better answer pending an=
 impact logic model that covers more of the observable phenomena.=20

In further support of the humidity swing model, I'd like to offer this.

I take humidity and temperature readings when I tune. It's dry the day of=
 the tuning, maybe 35%RH. I look at the recorded RH reading taken at the=
 last tuning. It's 36%. I tune the piano and find that the Tenor is pretty=
 close to pitch, but I have to LOWER the octave 5 1/2 - 6 area a bit. I've=
 seen this a lot of times, and always wondered how it happens. I know that=
 the humidity has, until about three weeks ago, been above 50%RH average. My=
 thinking is that the high humidity swelled the bridge and pushed the=
 strings up the pins. when the RH dropped back, the soundboard and bridge=
 went back to about where they were at the previous tuning. The strings,=
 being higher on the bridge than they were, and tighter via the resulting=
 increased stagger, remained a bit sharp. I don't habitually seat strings to=
 bridges with regular tuning, so (if this model is accurate) why did the=
 strings go sharp. Why weren't the strings still up the pins from the last=
 high RH period so the next one wouldn't have moved them? I think that, if=
 anything, strings creep DOWN toward the bridge with play. Otherwise, the=
 first high RH cycle would put them up the pin where they would stay forever=
 (unless tapped down) and the bridge surface would NOT BE GROOVED at all!=
 The string wouldn't have touched it for years! That's contrary to MY=
 observations. I think the observed pin indentations are the result of this=
 continual upping and downing with high RH pushing the string up, and low RH=
 letting it jiggle back down. The pin get's burnished flat through the=
 migration path. I don't think the flat spot has ta thing to do with holding=
 the string up, but rather, it is a wear track of where the string has been.=
 The vertical distance traveled is very short, making the wear track look=
 like a notch that catches the string and holds it up, but I think it is=
 ovoid, and the pin NEVER LEAVES this indentation. As I proposed earlier, if=
 pin climbing is impact related, why don't we see bigger gaps between the=
 string and bridge in extreme cases? And why aren't tunings knocked=
 sharp????? I think this stuff is basic to the puzzle. Has anyone got cause=
 & effect models on the impact theory?=20

Endtrans, you're all "it"

Regards, Ron Nossaman

PS: Sorry about the length of this (these) thing(s). This language is a=
 great thing to play with, but a miserably cumbersome communication meadium.

 =20

At 09:45 AM 4/18/97 -0700, you wrote:

>If there's a groove in the pin, doesn't that imply that the string was up
>there quite awhile, sawing away? We seem to have been assuming it hops up,
>but wouldn't it just creep up, reach the limited height that tension and
>downbearing allowed, and then proceed to vibrate and groove the pin?=20
>
>If so, this would support (relatively) frequent seating as a procedure. If
>the string wasn't up there long enough to groove the pin, it wouldn't have
>the indentation to hang up on.=20
>

>Susan Kline
>skline@proaxis.com
>P.O. Box 1651,