Stwy pinblock separation...I'm desperate, still...

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:22:33 -0400

What model of S&S is this one?  Just curious.

I am assuming that tuning stability is a problem!!!  If stability is not a
problem then mark the ends of the crack and then wait to see if it continues
to open.  I have seen cracks that concerned me, I marked the ends of the
crack and later determine that the crack is causing no discernable problem.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

There may be screws hidden below felt strips and pressure bar that may help
somewhat, but for a final fix there has to be more support for that glue
joint than just glue.  Obviously the joint has failed and will likely fail
again, unless that was a starved joint.

In any event, you will need to remove tension to close the joint.

If it is not possible to put screws through the front of the plate then you
need to determine how deep the tuning pins go the then drill holes from the
back of the piano into the block to hold the joint closed.  Pick the
locations carefully and drill carefully not to interefere with the tuning pins.

You may wish to use very slow set epoxy for this repair so that you can get
the epoxy into the crack, let down the tension to allow for a return to
closure then use clamps and blocks of hard wood (as suggested) then tighten
your screws front and back and allow to set for a couple of days before
restressing that joint.

This is an intimdating type of repair but if you plan carefully, have
everything laid out, screw holes threaded, crack clean of old glue or wood
shavings, then it should go quickly and well.

If I think of anything else I will post a post script.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com