1907 steinway upright

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:55:34 -0400

>if this price is right.

No, it is not!

First, I would look into changing the damper levers, dampers, butts,
rehabbing wippens or replacing them, key bushings, regulating, regulating.

If you are going to the point of replacing the butts you must replace the
damper levers as well.  Those old levers will be breaking at the screw hole
at any time.  You do not want to leave weakened parts that are extremely
difficult to replace later.

The other aspect of this is that the cost of the parts will run you about
$1500 if you do not replace the wippens.  The labor is extreme so I would
estimate that the cost will be in the range of $4000.  If this turns out not
to be the case, you are much faster you can return unearned funds or charge
less at the finale.

If you do this job, get your damper felt first, look at reusing the damper
blocks or using the newer dowel and block.

I know, I did one of these beasties and am looking at doing another.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com