Schraffed bass strings

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 06:58:04 -0400 (EDT)

<< Do the
 schraffed strings want less twist than normal ones? >>

I can't speak to the schraffed strings, but a Steinway dealer tech I met in
the 1950's said Steinway was recommending one and one-half turns on bass
strings, and he theorized that if that was valid for a baby grand, a concert
grand would need more.

Looking at the other posts, I'd try reducing twist and if that doesn't work,
increasing.

I just got Mapes to copy a dead string that I received from Baldwin for a
Wurlitzer (Young Chang) upright, and I hope your experience doesn't predict
that it will be dead when I install it!

Bill Maxim, RPT