"AOL4FREE.COM"

Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:32:33 -0700

Folks,

I always get a little "antsy" when posts like this come across.

The following is a post I received in reponse to a question re: the
"AOL4FREE.COM" file posted to another list:

This is a long post, but _please_ take the time to read it through.

For further reading, try:

	<underline>http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-47a.shtml

</underline>		(The post below)

	<underline>http://www.kumite.com/myths</underline>

		(This topic and related, interesting reading.)

>>                       The U.S. Department of Energy

>>                    Computer Incident Advisory Capability

>>                           ___  __ __    _     ___

>>                          /       |     /_\   /

>>                          \___  __|__  /   \  \___

>>                             INFORMATION BULLETIN

>>               AOL4FREE.COM Trojan Horse Program Destroys Hard
Drives

>>April 16, 1997 18:00 GMT

>Number H-47

>_________

>>PROBLEM:       A Trojan Horse program called AOL4FREE.COM that

>deletes all

>>               files on a hard drive is circulating the Internet.

>>PLATFORM:      DOS/Windows-based PCs

>>DAMAGE:        When the AOL4FREE.COM program is executed, all files
and

>>               directories on the users C: drive are deleted.

>>SOLUTION:      DO NOT execute this program. If the program starts

>executing,

>>               quickly pressing Ctrl-C will save some of your files.

>_________

>>VULNERABILITY  Users who download the trojaned AOL4FREE.COM program
and

>>ASSESSMENT:    executes it will destroy all the files and

>directories on their

>>               DOS C: drive.

>_________

>>NOTE: THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM THE AOL4FREE HOAX MESSAGE.

>>CIAC has obtained a Trojaned copy of AOL4FREE.COM that destroys hard

>drives.

>>CIAC has obtained a Trojaned copy of the AOL4FREE.COM program that,

>if run,

>>deletes all the files on a user's hard drive. If you are e-mailed

>this file,

>>or if you have downloaded it from an online service, do not attempt

>to run it.

>>If the program was received as an attachment to an e-mail message,

>do not

>>double click (open) it. Opening an attached program runs that

>program, which

>>in this case deletes all the files on your hard drive. The original

>>AOL4FREE.COM was a program for fraudulently creating free AOL

>(America Online)

>>accounts. Note that any attempt to use the original AOL4FREE.COM

>program may

>>subject you to prosecution.

>>NOTE: Most antivirus programs will not detect this or other Trojan

>Horse

>>      programs.

>>Detection

>>=========

>>AOL4FREE.COM is a Trojan program that is 993 bytes (2 sectors) long.

>>It masquerades as the AOL4FREE program that allows the fraudulent

>creation of

>>free AOL accounts. The following text is readable in the

>AOL4FREE.COM file

>>if you display it with the DOS TYPE command or the DOS EDIT program.

>>Compiled by BAT2EXEC 1.5

>>PC Magazine . Douglas Boling

>>Note that this text may appear in any program compiled with the

>BAT2EXEC

>>program and has nothing to do with the Trojan Horse.

>>If you open the AOL4FREE.COM file with a disk editor or with the

>Windows

>>Notepad program, the following text is found at the end of the

>second sector

>>of the file.

>>PATH

>>COMMANDC earc

>>/C C:

>>/C CD\

>>DELTREE   /y *.*

>>ECHOOYOUR COMPUTER HAS JUST BEEN F***ED BY *VP* F*** YOU AOL-LAMER

>>Where F*** is a common vulgar explicative.

>>Recovery

>>========

>>Pressing Ctrl-C before the Trojan Horse finishes deleting all your

>files will

>>save some of them. If the program runs to completion, all the files
on

>>your root drive will have been deleted. The files are deleted with
the

>>DOS DELTREE command, so the contents of the files are still on your

>hard

>>disk, only the directory entries have been deleted. Any program that

>can

>>recover deleted files will allow you to recover some or all of the

>files

>>on your hard disk.

>>While attempting to recover files, be sure to not write any new

>files onto

>>the hard disk as the new files may overwrite the contents of a

>deleted file,

>>making it impossible to recover. You will probably have to boot your

>system

>>with a floppy and run any recovery programs from there.

>>If you happen to have one of the delete tracking programs installed

>on your

>>system (a program that keeps track of deleted files in case you want

>them

>>back) the recovery operation will be relatively simple. Follow the

>directions

>>in your delete tracking program to recover your files. If not, you
will

>>probably have to recover each file individually, supplying the first

>character

>>of the file name, which is overwritten in the directory when the

>file is

>>deleted. Most DOS/Windows disk tools programs also have the

>capability for

>>recovering deleted files so follow the directions included with

>those programs

>>to do so.

>>Background

>>==========

>>The original AOL4FREE.COM program was developed to fraudulently

>create free

>>AOL accounts. The creator of that program has pleaded guilty to

>defrauding

>>America Online for distributing that program. Anyone else attempting

>to use

>>that program to defraud AOL could also be prosecuted.

>>An e-mail message was recently circulating about the Internet that

>warned of

>>an AOL4FREE virus, but that warning is either a hoax or a badly

>misunderstood

>>description of this Trojan Horse.

>>1.  This program is a Trojan Horse, not a virus. It does not spread

>on its own.

>>2.  A Trojan Horse must be run to do any damage.

>>3.  Reading an e-mail message with the Trojan Horse program as an

>attachment

>>    will not run the Trojan Horse and will not do any damage. Note
that

>>    opening an attached program from within an e-mail reader runs
that

>>    attached program, which may make it appear that reading the

>attachment

>>    caused the damage. Users should keep in mind that any file with

>a .COM or

>>    .EXE extension is a program, not a document and that double

>clicking or

>>    opening that program will run it.

>>CIAC still affirms that reading an e-mail message, even one with an

>attached

>>program, can not do damage to a system. The attachment must be both

>downloaded

>>onto the system and run to do any damage.

>>CIAC, the Computer Incident Advisory Capability, is the computer

>>security incident response team for the U.S. Department of Energy

>>(DOE) and the emergency backup response team for the National

>>Institutes of Health (NIH). CIAC is located at the Lawrence
Livermore

>>National Laboratory in Livermore, California. CIAC is also a
founding

>>member of FIRST, the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams,

>>global organization established to foster cooperation and
coordination

>>among computer security teams worldwide.

>>CIAC services are available to DOE, DOE contractors, and the NIH.
CIAC

>>can be contacted at:

>>    Voice:    +1 510-422-8193

>>    FAX:      +1 510-423-8002

>>    STU-III:  +1 510-423-2604

>>    E-mail:   ciac@llnl.gov

>>For emergencies and off-hour assistance, DOE, DOE contractor sites,

>>and the NIH may contact CIAC 24-hours a day. During off hours (5PM -

>>8AM PST), call the CIAC voice number 510-422-8193 and leave a
message,

>>or call 800-759-7243 (800-SKY-PAGE) to send a Sky Page. CIAC has two

>>Sky Page PIN numbers, the primary PIN number, 8550070, is for the
CIAC

>>duty person, and the secondary PIN number, 8550074 is for the CIAC

>>Project Leader.

>>Previous CIAC notices, anti-virus software, and other information
are

>>available from the CIAC Computer Security Archive.

>>   World Wide Web:      http://ciac.llnl.gov/

>>   Anonymous FTP:       ciac.llnl.gov (128.115.19.53)

>>   Modem access:        +1 (510) 423-4753 (28.8K baud)

>>                        +1 (510) 423-3331 (28.8K baud)

>>CIAC has several self-subscribing mailing lists for electronic

>>publications:

>>1. CIAC-BULLETIN for Advisories, highest priority - time critical

>>   information and Bulletins, important computer security
information;

>>2. CIAC-NOTES for Notes, a collection of computer security articles;

>>3. SPI-ANNOUNCE for official news about Security Profile Inspector

>>   (SPI) software updates, new features, distribution and

>>   availability;

>>4. SPI-NOTES, for discussion of problems and solutions regarding the

>>   use of SPI products.

>>Our mailing lists are managed by a public domain software package

>>called Majordomo, which ignores E-mail header subject lines. To

>>subscribe (add yourself) to one of our mailing lists, send the

>>following request as the E-mail message body, substituting

>>ciac-bulletin, ciac-notes, spi-announce OR spi-notes for list-name:

>>E-mail to       ciac-listproc@llnl.gov or majordomo@tholia.llnl.gov:

>>        subscribe list-name

>>  e.g., subscribe ciac-notes

>>You will receive an acknowledgment email immediately with a

>confirmation

>>that you will need to mail back to the addresses above, as per the

>>instructions in the email.  This is a partial protection to make
sure

>>you are really the one who asked to be signed up for the list in

>question.

>>If you include the word 'help' in the body of an email to the above

>address,

>>it will also send back an information file on how to

>subscribe/unsubscribe,

>>get past issues of CIAC bulletins via email, etc.

>>PLEASE NOTE: Many users outside of the DOE, ESnet, and NIH computing

>>communities receive CIAC bulletins.  If you are not part of these

>>communities, please contact your agency's response team to report

>>incidents. Your agency's team will coordinate with CIAC. The Forum
of

>>Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST) is a world-wide

>>organization. A list of FIRST member organizations and their

>>constituencies can be obtained via WWW at http://www.first.org/.

>>This document was prepared as an account of work sponsored by an

>>agency of the United States Government. Neither the United States

>>Government nor the University of California nor any of their

>>employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any

>>legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or

>>usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process

>>disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately

>>owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products,

>>process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or

>>otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement,

>>recommendation or favoring by the United States Government or the

>>University of California. The views and opinions of authors
expressed

>>herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United
States

>>Government or the University of California, and shall not be used
for

>>advertising or product endorsement purposes.

If you're still with me, thanks for taking the time.

Best to all, with hopes for virus-free, politically correct computing.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"The defining statistic of death is that it has a one to one ratio."

		- George Bernard Shaw

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627

Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942