Virus Alert!!

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:01:38 -0700

Anton Kuerti wrote:

> I just received this the following virus alert. Perhaps it might be valuable for
> you to have it and pass it on; maybe it is a modern version of a chainletter, a
> way of increasing mail traffic and increasing revenue for E-mail providers, or
> maybe it is for real, so I am sending it to my whole list of addresses:

> Anyone who receives this should perhaps send it to as many people as possible.
> It is essential that this problem be reconciled as soon as possible.  A few
> hours ago, I opened an E-mail that had the subject heading of
> "AOL4FREE.COM".  Within seconds of opening it, a window appeared and began to
> display my files that were being deleted.  I immediately shut down my computer,
> but it was too late.  This virus wiped me out.  It ate the Anti-Virus Software
> that comes with the Windows '95 Program along with F-Prot AVS.  Neither was able
> to detect it.  Please be careful and send this to as many people as possible, so
> maybe this new virus can be eliminated.>>

> Aol until 1998....or  AOL 4 free......  PLEASE DELETE...... contains a
> virus that will wipe out your harddrive...... after you download and it
> executes.....
> SUBJECT AREA OF EMAIL.......AOL 4 Free - Get AOL For Free
> SENDERS................................Matthews27 or VPVVPPVVP
> WARN  YOUR FRIENDS<<<<<
>
> Best greetings,
>
> Anton

Anton, this is another hoax you are passing.  You can't get a virus from
an email message no matter what it is called.  It has to be an
executable file not a text message.  These kind of things come through
about once a month, particularly when the colleges are on break!

Check out the Computer Virus Myths home page at
www.Kumite.com/myths/home.htm

Good Luck,

Warren
--