1907 steinway upright

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:59:43 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/19/97, jptuner <jptuner@asan.com> wrote:
<<I want tochange the hammers,shanks,and butts,I noticed that the butts
were borderline and so i decided to tell her to change them with the new
hammers.Itold her it would cost about close to $2,000 dollars to put new
abelhammers,shanks and butts,plus the regulation.Does anyone know if
thisprice is about right for this job,>>

jptuner:
(BTW, if you'd like to share your real name with us, we won't tell anyone
what it is <g>). I know I'm coming in late on this thread, but I recently
finished all new parts on a Model V from 1914. Parts w/o mark-up: around
$1660, AND LABOR @ 33.75 hours NET TIME. Total contracted price, roughly
$3900. But that's  butts/doubleflanges/damplevs/wips from Brooks,
hamms/LOButtons/damperfeltset from Steinway (current model K). Labor
included new keyframe felts, new felts/leathers for bottom board/trapwork
assy, keybd rebushed, all action frame felts replaced (rest rail, all
pivot bushings, everything I could find to replace), and every corner of
the action frame, keybed, and "ground floor" cleaned out (with the
action frame tubes shined). In short a Blue Ribbon action job. In a year
or two, he'll consider a restring for 40%  of that.

What you had originally proposed  (old butts and damplevs off, load new
butts/dblflanges with old damplevs, shank new hams, set strike line,
install shanks &reg) I figure to be roughly 12.5 hrs. NET TIME. But
that's coming off my time figures from my own job costing (from NT
figures on one upright  and four High School studio uprights).