Piano Tilters

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:42:11 -0400 (EDT)

Warren and list -

I almost had your experience once and was able to push the piano upright just
in time.

What works for me without using clamps is:

1.  Make sure all four casters are pointing up (away from the floor) before
you start letting the piano down.  This requires hitting the right spot and
not jarring the piano as you let it down.

2.  As the rear casters touch (double check that they are still point AWAY
from the floor), hold the top of the piano from going too fast upright while
tilting the tilter away from the piano so that the toe hooks remain engaged,
hooked under the bottom of the piano.  This last insures that the piano does
not get away from you.  (Learned in Fern Henry's vertical repairs class).

Bill Maxim, RPT

<< The problem I had once was when I had the new casters
 installed and was trying to stand it back up.  The new casters were
 larger rubber tired and took the weight of the piano from the the tilter
 too soon so that the forks popped out from under it!  Boy, that was
 exiting!  That's when I found out about 2X4 blocks!  I also clamp the
 tilter to the backposts with small bar clamps. >>