Piano Tilters

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 05:25:11 -0700

Maxpiano@aol.com wrote:

> Warren and list -
>
> I almost had your experience once and was able to push the piano upright just
> in time.
>
> What works for me without using clamps is:
>
> 1.  Make sure all four casters are pointing up (away from the floor) before
> you start letting the piano down.  This requires hitting the right spot and
> not jarring the piano as you let it down.
>
> 2.  As the rear casters touch (double check that they are still point AWAY
> from the floor), hold the top of the piano from going too fast upright while
> tilting the tilter away from the piano so that the toe hooks remain engaged,
> hooked under the bottom of the piano.  This last insures that the piano does
> not get away from you.  (Learned in Fern Henry's vertical repairs class).
Bill,
These casters I use with the ball bearing swivel joint will flop down in
the wrong position at the slightest jar.  How do you get them to stay
where you want them?

Also, the weight of the piano is still on the tilter at the critical
point and the piano I'm talking about was a 400 lb., old player piano.
How do you tilt the tilter away then?  Do you push the piano away from
it? How do you control both the piano and the tilter then?  I've never
had trouble with the little uprights, just the monsters!

Once bitten, twice terrified!  I think I'll stick with the 2X4's and bar
clamps, thank you!:-)

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List