String breakage/Coloration

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:57:25 -0500

At 11:33 PM 4/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Guy, this is just getting really interesting. Could you explain publicly
>what the Suzuki teacher said about tone? (No problem waiting till next week.)
>
>Susan Kline

Dear Susan and list,
	I realize that this thread ran it's course(very well), and am not trying
to re-stir or waste bandwidth. I also did't want you to think that I
ignored your request(above), so here goes.......
	If we take for granted that there's more than just physics and geometry
involved, as many of the tonal/coloration posts imply, then my attempt at
describing the Suzuki teachers' technique can be looked at with a somewhat
open mind.
	Please understand that we're going to look at ONE way that a
player/tech/student can TRY to create a tone. There are, of course, many
many many ways to create tone. The one "quote", if you will, from the
teacher is that "Every tone is a creation". The qualifier is the results.
We host lots of recitals in our facility, and her students absolutely
shine. Their tonal control, from age 3 or 4 on up, is unmatched by almost
all of the other hundreds of students I listen to. We can't dispute the
"fruit on the tree", as if dispute was the desire. I just wanna learn.

	Our goal with this experiment is to create different tone, with roughly
the same volume level, on one note.....one piano....no technical changes.
Measure how you like, we listen with our ears, they should suffice.
	Try this:
		Place your right hand on the keyboard, with all five fingers at rest on
five whites, starting somewhere above....A5.
		Be sure of your body posture, for consistancy, and make your fore-arm
level.(standard stuff)
		Play the note under your pinky(5) finger. like you normally would, about
once every 2 seconds, until you've established a "norm" for volume. If the
note is funky(voicing, on the break, weak, etc) move to a better note.
		Medium volume is best, but be comfortable with it. The idea is to be
consistant.
		Without breaking cadence, attempt to concentrate on exactly where on the
key your finger-tip starts(or hits) and stops.
		Now stop, shake out your hand, and repeat the procedure. You should
achieve consistant tone within a few strikes.
		Now stop, shake out your hand, and place your hand back in 'ready'
position, with the pinky tip near the notch.
	NOTE: THE ACTUAL PLACEMENT ON THE KEY IS NOT THAT CRITICAL!
		With the tip resting on the key, gently pull towards yourself, without
depressing the key. The idea is to 'rock' onto the 'pad' of your pinky, not
the tip.
		WITHOUT lifting you finger, PULL it towards the top of the keyslip,
drawing an imaginary line through the surface of the key. It should strike
with less volume than what you were achieving before.
		Now repeat that motion, being carefull to always start with your finger
ON the key, not above, until you've reached the same volume level of your
'base line' initial strikes.
		The fun part comes when you try to go back and forth between the two
strikes.

	I'm sending this response to Susan's question knowing full well that text
just ain't the same as being there, and a lot of people are going to waste
some of their valuable time on this and get nothing from it for their
investment. It's an imperfect world. If you try this, with no results, then
flame away. If you don't try it, well, big deal. There's better things to do.
	The teacher, by the way, did mention a book by Geiseking(no title) that
she thought was very good on tone, but that Kataoka was the definitave
'cats' meow.'
	Tip of the iceberg, physical technique-wise, but enough to get you
started, and at least make your pinky sore. BTW, has helped the arthritis a
bunch.
	Sincerest hope that this helps at least one.
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"The person with experience is never at the mercy of one with an opinion"
					Ron Rummel