Seating/false beats

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:22:27 +0100

Ron and list,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you had a close look at some pins. This
is the type of applied theory I like to see. I've often said that a good
thinker is one who can figure out why nine out of ten of his bright
ideas won't work before he even tries them.

In my first post I stated that the strings don't move on the pin. Let me
clarify. Certainly they move, after all there's a whole lota' shaking
goin' on when the piano is played, but I don't believe there is enough
friction between the string and pin for the string to hang up on the
pin, hence my original statement. The string will always return to its
point of least deflection quickly.

The marks on the pin do indeed tell us that the string is moving on the
pin somehow. I think these marks are an indication of the changing of
the string's point of least deflection as the bridge becomes grooved.
The string starts at the high end of the mark when the bridge is
fresh/ungrooved. It won't stay there long though because this is maximum
deflection where the most/quickest grooving happens. As the grooving
progresses over time the string will find its point of least deflection
lower and lower on the pin. The string then moves down the pin forming
the mark. The travel of the string and formation of the mark on the
string happens more quickly at first, then more slowly as the the
deflection becomes less and less. This is why the mark is wider at the
bottom. The string has spent more time at the bottom as it nears zero
deflection.

Would you agree that the mark appears to be a swipe mark and not
multiple individual indentations? If so, that would confirm both the
lack of friction to hold the string up and the non-linear decent of the
string over time.

Gotta' go, I'm off to Wisconsin Days!

Richard Anderson